A Dubuque, Iowa Bed and Breakfast

Amy’s Blog

Hardwood Floors here in the Inn

Posted on Apr 17, 2012

Dubuque, IA was the lead mining captital of the world until the mid 1860’s. As a result of this it was the law/common paractice around these parts up  until the late 1800’s that people use soft woods for their floors and save the hardwood for the lead mine shafts. The Mandolin Inn (Nicholas Schrup home) was built in 1908 and is one of the few historic homes in either Dubuque or Galena that has hardwood floors. Schrup was knighted by the King of Belgium in 1920 and wanted everyone that entered the home to know that he was Sir Schrup – note the German Cross Medallians on the Grand Hall floor. During the varied uses of the home over the course of time the beautiful wooden floors often had rugs glued on them in order to protect the wood – particularly during the period when it was a half-way house for juvenile delinquents and later when it was a college apartment/frat house. The nuns glued tile over the hardwood floor of the Ballroom so that the novice nuns could live there. The ballroom floor remains tile covered as it is currently used as a storage attic.   About Amy: Amy owns and runs The Mandolin Inn, a bed & breakfast in Dubuque...

Read More

Architectural Walking Tour of the Jackson Park and West Eleventh Historic Districts – The Mandolin Inn is site #22

Posted on Mar 17, 2012

This tour starts on the hilltops that are part of the West 11th Historic District and then works its way to downtown. It takes 2 to 2 ½ hours. The hilltops do not have metered parking, whereas the downtown streets do, so you might want to leave your car on the hill and walk back to it at the end of the tour.   Start at the corner of 11th and Prairie Streets. Local lore has Amelia Earhart spending a night at 596 W 11th in the 1930’s. #1. 1295 (O) + 1209 Prairie Street (O, P) The exact building date of 1295 Prairie Street is not known, but some city records give the date as 1871. However, it is likely that Susan Lawrence, who owned the property since 1856, built the house before then. Gideon T. Stewart, proprietor of the Daily Times, bought the property in 1863 and city directories of the time note him living “on the bluff” and “on McDaniel’s Hill”. Former owners believed that the home was designed by A.O. Holland, based on similarities to the home he designed at 1298 Mount Pleasant Street. In 1880, James Wallis, wholesaler of dry goods and notions, purchased the house as a wedding present for his son and daughter-in-law, John W. and Mary Burton Wallis. The home remained in the Wallis family until 1947 and is still referred to as the Wallis home. Major additions took place in 1880, 1899, 1900, 1904, and 1910. The library ceiling and adjoining staircase wall have murals executed by Danish artist August Rasmussen around 1900. Roger and Paula Stenlund purchased the home in 1982 and spend the next 18 years restoring and remodeling it. They added a double garage in 1991 and a family room/sunroom two years later. The current owners have lived there since 2002. The central, square unit of 1209 Prairie Street with symmetrical windows, central entrance hall, massive columns, and low pitched roof are examples of the Federal style and was built around 1856 by H.S. Hetherington, one-time mayor. He purchased the land from Alfred McDaniel, who developed most of this area of Dubuque. The two story wing was added in 1869 and the sunporch in 1914. Prominent Dubuquer P.W. Crawford owned the home early in the 20th century. For 75 years, the McDonald family occupied the home. A.Y. McDonald established a manufacturing company after the Civil War and invented the monkey wrench and other tools for which he held patents. A native of Kentucky, Alfred McDaniel came to Dubuque in 1836 and immediately began to speculate in real estate. McDaniel eventually owned most of the land west of Main Street between 8th and 14th street, which he subdivided into building lots in 1853. McDaniel’s subdivision today comprises the heart of the West 11th Street Historic District. Other socially and economically prominent Dubuque landowners associated with the development of the West 11th neighborhood include Jesse P. Farley, Henry S. Hetherington, and the first F.E. Bissell   Take a right...

Read More